Friday, March 9, 2012

Viking Wire Weaving: Changing size and flexibility through the draw plate

I just finished up weaving a Viking wire woven necklace. (For instructions, take a look at this post: http://tangibledaydreams.blogspot.com/2010/03/tutorial-viking-wire-weaving.html ) I'm using 'Artistic Wire' in a couple of different colors this time around. I weave the necklace about half as long as I want the finished product to be, and then draw it through successively smaller holes in a draw plate. This shrinks down the diameter of the weave, increases the length, and turns a rigid tube of wire into a supple chain.

So, this necklace was just around 12" when I was done with the weaving portion.

I pulled it through smaller and smaller holes in the draw plate, all the way down to the smallest.

The final chain ended up being 23" long.

It always amazes me how flexible the chain gets!

I still need to add a hook and eye clasp to this one. And I'm also going to take sandpaper to the chain, to knock the colored coating off of the outside of the chain. That will leave the color on the inside, but expose the copper core of the wire on the outside, making a beautiful multi-tone necklace. (It means I don't have to worry about the color wearing off in spots over time and wear and ruining the look of the necklace, because I will have already knocked down the color in a controlled and thorough manner. It makes the eventual wearing off of color a feature, not a bug.)

1 comment:

  1. That is just incredibly COOL! Is this drawing technique how gold chain is made? I'd heard that wire can be made by drawing it through the plate, but never imagined one could do this with a finished weave. Thank you for your inspiration once again. :-)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete