Monday, September 5, 2011

Still working on the scarf order for MIT


I'm still working on the MIT commission. I sent this sample scarf to them on Saturday, so they can decide which font and phrase they'd like on their silk scarves. I use the stamp pad to give me the template, and then trace over that with the Sharpie paint pen. After that, the lettering stands up to the washing machine quite well. I think the easiest lettering to do was the small italic 'great ideas change the world' stamp, but we'll see what they prefer.

In the meantime, tonight I'm steaming the first dozen scarves in the order. To set the color and make it wash fast, I wait at least 24 hours after painting a scarf. Then I steam it for 3 hours. After that, I let the scarf sit for another 24 hours before I wash and iron it. This process makes the color quite permanent. (The grey scarf above has been through the wash at least a half dozen times already.)

My husband snapped this shot of me rolling up the scarves to get them ready for the steamer.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is turning out AWESOME!!!!

    Missed you Saturday and I had the yarn (darnit)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on your commission - I love the idea of words on your scarves.

    ReplyDelete