Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Steaming silk scarves, and smart alec family and friends

I've been painting silk scarves over the past few weeks. This afternoon I had just enough time to roll them up and steam them before I left for work. So, I got to work, laying them out in the craft paper.


I managed to roll up all 24 scarves, and still beat the 6" diameter limit. Any bigger around than 6", and I'm told the steam can't penetrate well.


So I hung them up in my hand made steamer (turkey fryer and stove pipe), and made a mental note to come back in three hours to turn the steamer off. Yes, I check it frequently also, to make sure it hasn't run dry. But I knew I'd be a bit distracted getting ready for modeling for a life drawing class tonight, so I wanted to make sure to turn it off.


I'm pretty much on FaceBook all the time, both personally and for the crafting side of my life. (That one is http://www.facebook.com/TangibleDaydreams -- feel free to drop on by.) So, I mentioned on my personal FaceBook that I had the scarves going, and that I needed to remember to take them off in a few hours.

Silly me.

2 minutes later, my 16 year old son trots down the stairs, and reminds me to turn the steamer off in three hours. Smart alec son. This amuses me, so I dash off a comment to my original FaceBook post.

Silly, silly me. I not only have a smart alec son, but my friends and the rest of my family are just as bad.

Countless FaceBook comments and wall posts, phone calls, text messages, emails, in person reminders, post-it notes, and the creation of a FaceBook Event later, I did in fact remember to turn off the steamer before I left for work. I lost track of how many people got in on the silliness.

Don't tell any of them...but I'm glad I'm surrounded with people who know how to have light-spirited fun!

7 comments:

  1. LOL Well at least you remembered! LOL

    I hope they all came out beautifully!

    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you on The Etsy Blog Team.

    Good thing you remembered to turn the steamer off!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those are pretty! My daughter loves scarves! Haha on the family and friends thats something mine would do to me too and truthfully thats what I'd do to them too because if I didn't do right away I'd forget to later haha

    Also from the etsy blog team and a new follower! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful scarves! I especially love the green and blue combination! Gorgeous!

    So glad I found you through the Etsy Blog Team!
    I am your newest blog follower. :)
    Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

    I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!

    Best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! That was a creative way to use a Facebook event! Your handmade steamer is impressive! I wonder if the Tin Man needs a date.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nah, the Tin Man better steer clear of this lady. She gets steamed much too easily. Quite a temper!

    ReplyDelete