Thursday, May 26, 2011

Inkle bands, silk painting, and hospital visits

It has been a bit of a crazy time here the past week. My husband ended up back in the hospital for a spell, to zap some various infections. So my focus has been a little scattered. However, I did manage to finish up the band I had on the inkle loom. If you recall, this was woven of leftover hand dyed sock yarn. I lined up the color repeats on the loom, so the band shifted from one color to the next with a nice feathering. The result is quite a bit different from the usual rigid patterns that you get with inkle weaving. I've got another band on the loom right now, but I wasn't really paying attention with that one and the width of the band varies. (I did much of it with me in the hospital.) I really need to practice even tension more, so I can get even selvedges without thinking about it. Anyway, here's how the first one turned out.



I've also managed to get 2 dozen silk scarves dyed over the past two weeks.




The last one is currently drying on the frame. I need to let them sit and cure at least 24 hours, so hopefully I can get to steam setting them on Friday. Then I'll let them sit and cure again over the weekend. I'll probably get to washing and ironing them on Monday. That means I can take pictures and list them for the Etsy shop (tangibledaydreams.etsy.com) over the course of next week.

Assuming nobody else ends up in the hospital.

Ahem. And nobody will end up in the hospital. Right? Right. Glad we cleared that up.

3 comments:

  1. The blue and green scarf is gorgeous! Hope your household stays hospital free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed, no hospital trips:) Love the last scarf a lot too:):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Both for the compliment, and the 'no more hospital' vibes. :)

    ReplyDelete