Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November Poetry Challenge: 29/30: Spinning my Wheels

Here's poem #29 of 30 in my November poetry challenge. One more to go, and I'll have made it! The goal was to write 30 poems in 30 days. And I haven't had to resort to bad haiku once this month. Yet...



Spinning my Wheels

There's many an afternoon
I just sit here,
spinning my wheels.
Mind drifting,
meditative...
hands wandering through the same
sequence of actions again...again...
unthinking motion...
foot tapping...tapping...

...and fiber slipping soft
and sure through my finger tips,
transforming into luscious
lengths of pettable, practical
hand-spun yarn.
Because, for me?
Spinning my wheels
is a wonderfully
productive activity!


Melissa McCollum
11/29/2010




(Yes, that is me in the picture, taken a few weeks ago while I was modeling for a life drawing class. I got 2 1/2 bobbins spun up that day, and the students came up with some cool artwork as well. A win all around.)

No comments:

Post a Comment