Sunday, November 28, 2010

November Poetry Challenge: 28/30:The Hunter

My kids say I have a secret superpower--I can track things down. All it takes is time, patience, and a discerning eye...which leads us to poem #28 out of 30 in my November Poetry Challenge.

The Hunter

Lurk...scan...look again...
That one? No...
too common to bother...
too far away...
too much...
that one is broken...
yes? no, can't use it now...
OOh? Perk...Maybe?
...pounce! and...nope.
Came up empty.
Dang. Waited too long.
Back to the slow stalk...
days...weeks...
be patient...wait for it...
There!! That one is perfect!
"Hello? I'm calling
about your ad on Craigslist..."
A quick dash...and...YES!
The primal hunter
lurking deep in my genes
grins with the exhilaration
of a successful hunt.
Drag the spoils
back to my studio lair,
gloat, evaluate,
and then...maybe...divide the bounty
with my chosen tribe.

After I take
first pick
of the kill.


Melissa McCollum
11/28/2010

(This was today's find. 63 light weight leather hides that will make great gloves or garments. I look forward to working with them...eventually. Right now, I'm just hovering over the new addition to my hoard.)

No comments:

Post a Comment