Sunday, November 21, 2010

November Poetry Challenge: 20/30: Shared Magic

I'm up way too late again, getting this written in the wee hours of the night. I would have started earlier, but we were playing silly games until 2am. yawn So here is poem #20 in my challenge to write 30 poems in 30 days. And now I'm going to go to bed...


Shared Magic

My fingers are still twitching,
reaching for the keyboard.
And I think my dreams
will be full of
sharp clawed moon beasts,
shambling zombies,
and deadly conjured swarms
of mucking big snakes.
And spiders. And scorpions.
Really really big.
See, I just spent hours
and hours

playing video games with my family.
With rapid fire mouse clicks
we merrily mixed spells
and tossed fireballs,
jogging together through
a simulated world
full of dastardly wrongs to right
and sinister forces to fight.
There were evil sorcerers
and hermit witches,
glowing rune stones
and swirling potions,
and enchanted creatures pouncing
from around every turn.
But the real magic
of the game?

My teenaged son
willingly got his homework done
--early--
so he could hang out gaming
with his parents.
On a Saturday night.

Now, that is wizardry indeed!


Melissa McCollum
11/20/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment