Friday, September 17, 2010

Recipe: Oat Cakes


My daughter went off to college recently, so it is time to think about making stuff to go into care packages. I usually make these oatcakes for extended camping trips, because they keep well and are great for grab and go breakfasts. So I decided to make up a batch today, half for quick breakfasts before work, half to send north to Michelle.

I don't recall where I got the recipe originally, but I know I did add more sugar to meet my family's tastes. I've made this with bits of dried apple added to the batter, and that was quite good too. I've seen it made with raisins, but they tended to fall out of the finished product. Try it, and then experiment away!

Oatcakes

6 C rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 C flour
2 C Crisco
1 1/2 C Sugar
1 tsp Salt
about 1 C cold water, as needed
extra flour to flour the board/counter when you roll out the dough

Preheat your oven to 375F. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Cut in the Crisco until mealy. Add the cold water a little at a time, until the dough forms a ball. Flour a board, and roll out your dough in batches, to about 1/4" thick. Cut into 2-3" squares. Bake on a baking sheet until lightly brown, around 20 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment