Monday, March 22, 2010

Viking Wire Weaving with a peyote stitch slide bead



It has become something of a running joke over here that "Everything is better with beads!" Which is based on the fact that sooner or later, I'll find a way to work beads into almost any craft I do. But really, the Viking wire knitting that I learned to do last week is a craft that just seems to beg for the addition of beads, don't you think?

So today I made a chain out of a finer gauge wire. It was 26 gauge non-tarnish silver Artistic Wire for the chain, and the same wire in 20 gauge for the end caps. Then I dug into the stash of beads, and found a couple of colors of Delica seed beads that seemed to go nicely together. A bit of experimentation with the pattern, and I came up with a nice big two color spiral, made with tubular peyote stitch. The finished necklace is 18" long, and is very comfortable and light-weight.



By the way, have I mentioned that the lady who got me started with this is an evil influence? This afternoon, she told me how to get beads to weave into the inside of the chain. I think I want to try that next...

No comments:

Post a Comment