Sunday, November 29, 2009

Inkle Pattern: Christmas book marks

I was headed out to SCA practice today, and realized I didn't have a good project to take along with me. So I grabbed the inkle loom and some cotton crochet thread, and spent the afternoon chatting and warping up the loom. I decided that some simple bookmarks in Christmas colors might be fun for the day.














Handsome, aren't they? I encourage you to make your own! Here's the warping pattern I used:

G G G W W G G G W W R R R R R R R R R W W G G G W W G G G
G G G W W G G G W W W W W R R W W W W W G G G W W G G G

G: green
W: white
R: red

Read from left to right, starting with the top 'G' and alternating between the top and the bottom rows. The top line are the yarns that are threaded above the first post, and the bottom line are the yarns that are threaded below the first post. Make each bookmark about 7" long. Cut a couple of lengths of cardboard to weave in between bookmarks, like you see in the picture. That leaves room for fringe on each end.

Have fun with them. These would make great stocking stuffers, or little gifts for co-workers.

2 comments:

  1. I just made bookmarks because of this post, and I was wondering of you had any suggestions on how to tie it off at the ends. Making a knot does not leave any room for the book to close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I'm glad you were inspired. :)

    If the ends are long enough, I'll twist the fringe together and tie knots at the end of the fringe where they stick out of the book. Umm...here is the entry I did on twisted fringe: http://tangibledaydreams.blogspot.com/2009/09/twisted-fringe-again.html . You can do it without the gadget, by just twisting the fringe between your fingers.

    If I'm looking for quick and easy, I'll find a matching color of sewing thread, and machine stitch at the edge of the weaving. A close zig-zag stitch holds things in place. If I'm taking my time, I'll do a hand sewn hem stitching, like I use on the edge of things on my floor loom. This isn't me, but it shows the process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_jd6F3-nTA

    Another option is to cut the fringe off entirely, and fold the ends over twice and sew them down. That is kind of bulky, though.

    ReplyDelete