Sunday, October 11, 2009

Gourds and weaving and project planning

I've been spending time with family and friends this weekend, and getting some long neglected yard work done. The weather here in Phoenix has finally cooled down enough that we can get back outside, so I spent some time thinning out the bamboo in the back yard. (That gives me two good sized canes that are drying. Wonder what I can do with them...) We need to trim back the grape vines too--they took over the hot tub gazebo over the summer when we weren't looking. Grape vine wreaths, anyone? And the lantana flowers are totally encroaching on the sidewalk, so that will need to be trimmed too. Oh, and the bougainvilla bush is trying to grab people as they come up the walk, so that has get a good chopping too. Hmmm...maybe set up a good compost pile?

Anyway, in and around games and chores, I did manage to get some things done in the studio. I finished up a second Petroglyph Gourd, which will go into the Etsy shop as soon as I get the candle and holder for the inside of it.

















































Have you ever tried to get to sleep at night, only to have your personal muse come tapping on your brain? That happened to me the other night. I lay there, 2 am in the morning, and ideas kept playing pinball in my skull. One in particular formed fully enough that I had to get up and go write it down so it would just leave me alone.

So, today I went out to the shed and picked out gourds that might fit the vision. I'll work on them next week, and see if I can tease the image into physical form. If I do it right, it will make an awesome looking wall hanging. Stay tuned!


Last week at SCA practice, a friend asked me if I could give them some pointers with card weaving. So this afternoon I warped up a belt in maroon and black, so I will be able to take it with me to practice tomorrow night. This was an experiment for me. I've done quite a bit of card weaving before, but I've always used a backstrap loom to weave on. This time, I decided to put the weaving on a rigid heddle loom that I had lurking around at the back of my supply closet. That took a bit of figuring. So far, I like using the backstrap better. But I'll see how it goes once I get the hang of it.












So far, so good. We'll have to see what calls more tomorrow--the yard outside, or the studio inside. Maybe I'll just take my weaving out to the back yard, and enjoy the sun shine and warm breezes while I create something beautiful. Now, that sounds like a good plan!

4 comments:

  1. Those are amazing gourds! I love how they look all lit up! I miss Arizona in the Fall and Winter, those are the best seasons there!

    [inkihandmade.blogspot.com]
    [inkihandmade.etsy.com]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're a busy lady! That gourd looks really amazing. I wish I had your energy in the garden. Truth be told, I would love to have stuff growing around my house, but haven't had the money to invest in trying. I'm afraid it would be a waste of money if I didn't choose the right things: we've both been flooding and having drought conditions off and on all year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks folks!

    I'm loving the cooler weather. Just got in from planting some California Poppy seeds around the front palm tree. My theory of gardening is very Darwinian. I plant stuff, then tend to forget about it for months at a time. If it survives, excellent! If it dies, well, I'll try something else and see if it can stand up to the abuse. I'm gradually getting a very low maintanence, desert adapted yard that way.

    ReplyDelete