Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Basic Fighter's Tunic

I have to admit, sewing doesn't really inspire me. I don't wake up in the middle of the night with the plans for a new sewing project jumping around in my brain, demanding to be let out RIGHT NOW, like happens for some of my other art forms. But still, I've learned how to do it. I've even taken a couple of classes on sewing and pattern making at the local community college, just to figure out how to do it right. Mostly, this is because of my involvement in the historical recreation community. For some reason, the local Wal-Mart doesn't carry much in the way of fashions from the 1300's, you know? You can't just run out and buy this stuff. It all has to be hand made.

So, I learned to sew for myself, and my family. It is easier to get just what you have in mind for a costume if you make it yourself. And every now and then, I can get talked into hiring out my seamstress talents. Like in this case. One of our newer sword fighters asked me if I could make a basic tunic to go over his armor. He wanted black, mid-thigh length, and his other colors were navy blue and white. This is what I came up with. It is made of a sturdy bottom weight, and all the seams are reinforced. There is a slit up the sides for mobility. I added a sturdy navy blue and white trim so he wouldn't split the side seam up further--that is one of the first spots to usually fail in this kind of tunic. Then I added the same trim to the front neck slit for the same purpose, and to the arms just for decoration. I didn't continue the trim all around the neck line though, since the bottom of his helm would rub against it and rip it up pretty quickly.

(The trim amuses me. That pattern, in heraldic speak, is called 'embattled'. Now, how perfect is that for a fighting tunic?)

No comments:

Post a Comment